Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Reflection on Princetonween

I’ve never gotten the chance to attend the festivities so perhaps the title of the post is misleading. Instead, these past two years, I’ve been holed up in my room memorizing conjugations in preparation for my midterm on Friday (really, Italian department, really?), while most of my classmates have been gallivanting around in ridiculous and sometimes overtly risqué costumes. So, have I seriously missed out?

This year I heard a mixed bag of reviews of the night. This was surprising because in the past I’ve heard adjectives ranging from CRAZY to SO.MUCH.FUN used to describe Princetonween. Part of this sentiment, I assume, comes from not only that it is a night to retreat back into our childhoods (except with a new college-age twist) but because almost everyone comes out to celebrate. Personally, I think there should be a move to institute campus-wide trick or treating, but maybe that’s just me. What are your thoughts on the tradition? Should it be revamped?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm seriously into campus-wide trick or treating, but i found princetowen to be lacking this year. i don't know, i agree, i think you're right that part fo the fun is that it's the one night of the year when you can expect everyone (except you poor souls with midterms on friday) to be out and about and making fools of themselves. but i also think there's a lot of fuss made over princetoween and sometimes it can eb rather anticlimactic. when you're expecting it to be SO.MUCH.FUN. sometimes it can be kind of a letdown! maybe that's just me, though