Wednesday, November 28, 2007

On the thirteenth day of Christmas, my true love went bankrupt...

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

Anyone who's thought at all about the lyrics to this song has probably wondered A) why exactly my true love feels that assorted fowl make good gifts, B) whether the maids were actually milking as they were delivered through the door, and C) how much do all these things actually cost?

More than ever, says MSN Money, at least in response to the last question. The cost of true love is higher than ever, with seven swans a-swimming taking a nice 4.2k out of your pocket. Four calling birds cost 25% more than they would have last year, and that's to say nothing of the five golden rings.

Maybe this year you should skip a few birds-- PNC estimates the total cost of the song, all verses included, at about $78,000. That's almost as much as a Princeton education*!

(I realize that this is a bit out of season, but I'll be the first to admit that I've been counting down to winter break since Black Friday.)


*Just kidding. Nothing costs as much as that.

1 comments:

Martha Vega said...

This reminds me of Forbes' list of world's wealthiest fictional characters--I think the list is led by Santa Clause...