Monday, February 1, 2010

Lost in the labyrinth

Labyrinth is a business. Everyone knows this. So I shouldn’t have been surprised when I saw some employees trying to resurrect the spirits of John Jacob Astor, J. P. Morgan, and John D. Rockefeller in a séance, which took place in the alley behind the store. Just kidding. But I did witness a bit of scheming going on in Labyrinth the other day.

I bought a textbook for $144 from the book store, but when I found a better deal (gasp!) I decided to return it. While I was returning the book, a person who seemed like a manager walked behind the register to talk with some of the employees.
Mr. Manager Man was telling the cashiers that “we don’t want to encourage students to return their books” and that instead of explaining the store’s return policy they should just say “the store’s policy is on the bottom of your receipt. Make sure you keep it.”
When I initially bought that overpriced hunk of paper, the cashier was nice and explained that if I returned books by February 12, I would get all my money back and after that date I would be issued store credit.

But NOW, Labyrinth is showing its true colors! They might pretend to be all cool by hiring hippies/hipsters/I’m-too-coolers and constantly mentioning that they’re an independent bookseller to amp their street cred, but I know what’s what. Beneath their carbon-neutral program, are the souls of robber barons past!

Vive la résistance! ¡Viva la revolución!

0 comments: