Saturday, March 28, 2009

Real Estate: Henry Hall


Henry Hall is in the southwestern corner of the upperclassmen residential area commonly nicknamed the “slums.” One side opens onto a courtyard, which it shares with 1901-Laughlin and the other faces University Place. Though many people are drawn to Henry in order to be in the “slums” area, its location makes it just about the furthest place on campus from the Street, and between the conversations of people passing through the courtyard and cars driving along University, many residents say the dorm is often quite noisy at night.

The dorm also can be quite cold. Or hot. It’s too bad that the fireplaces of Henry don’t work anymore, because this dorm can have temperature calibration problems. However, structurally, Henry’s interior setup is one of its great assets. Being one of the longest and straightest residence halls on campus, Henry provides a living experience that is very conducive to visiting friends’ rooms or just bumping into people in the halls. Indeed, repeatedly, Henry residents emphasize that the people are what make the dorm a great place to live. You can get your laundry done in the building, but you’ll have to venture outside to print out a paper or find a good study space.

Liz Consky ’10, who lives in Henry, notes “The rooms are quirky in shape but seem to work, which I like.”

1 comments:

David Miller said...

I Googled Henry Hall because it was my home for three academic years, from 1947 to graduation in 1950. Funny, we didn't think of it as the slums in those days, particularly since I spent my freshman year in Reunion Hall,which has been since then mercifully reduced to a pile of rubble when the authorities decided it was a safety hazard. It was surrounded by Alexander Hall, Nassau Hall and that other building that looked like it --- West, was it?

My reason for checking out Henry Hall was that I'm describing dorm life in my memoirs and find my recollection is less than 20/20. We were in Suite 121. Questions: Was that on the second or third floor? I think it was the second floor if you don't count the basement floor. Also, we used the entry at the south corner of the building, closest to the railroad station. I know there was another entry at the northern end. Was there a third in between these two? Finally --- I estimate that there were five suites on our entry/floor, so that the single bathroom served about 15 students. Do my numbers sound about right?