Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fareed's Top 5 Summer Movie Trailers

Movie lovers like me are stuck in the worst time of year. We are between the Oscar movie season and that delicious time full of popcorn and soda known as the summer movie season. To spread some cinematic cheer, I decided to share my top five summer movie trailers. Let the procrastination begin!

#5 Wall-E


I'm not usually the biggest Pixar fan since underneath their pristine animation usually lies some fairly hackneyed messages (case in point-" Ratatouille"). Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this delightful trailer that combines Pixar's state-of-the-art animation with the charm of a silent film. Here's one CGI extravaganza that I just might catch a movie theater.

#4 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


I've always had a soft spot for the "Last Crusade's" humor sparked prominently from Indiana's repartee with Sean Connery. It looks like Spielberg has made sure that this film cracks with that same wit. Plus, we get a shot of a leather jacket-sporting Shia LaBeouf (best part of Transformers?), and a glimpse of the weighty action sequences that perfectly fit Harrison Ford's advancing age.

#3 Iron Man


The often drug addled Robert Downey Jr. has never really had a chance to shine in a leading role. How ironic then that the troubled actor plays Iron Man, the one superhero that actually has an alcohol problem. Downey Jr. uses his smarmy charm to infuse me the self-professed "merchant of death" with an undeniable charisma. Whether the big-budget movie is half as good as this enticing trailer, remains to be seen.

#2 Speed Racer


The filmmakers behind the "Matrix" Wachowski Brothers are back. Their new movie looks to be one of the trippiest blockbusters in recent memory. With its dazzling neon-colored aesthetic, this ambitious flick looks like the fantasies of an ADHD kid come to life. Alienating? Sure. Do the Wachowskis have my 10 bucks? Absolutely.

#1 The Dark Knight


Sometimes a trailer comes along that reveals little but shows how perfectly everything has come together. "The Dark Knight" exemplifies such a teaser. From the way he moves to how he licks his lips, the late Heath Ledger as the Joker has clearly created a terrifying vision of the Batman's arch-nemesis. A superb trailer that puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

Do you all out there agree or disagree with my picks? Is there a trailer that you want people to see? Also, I will soon be interviewing Jeff "The Dude" Dowd for the Street. Dowd inspired the Coen Brothers to create the Dude for their movie "The Big Lebowski." If you all have any questions that you want me to ask, let me know.
Keep watching those previews,

-Fareed

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know his thoughts on the Eagles.